Louis W. Gilbert was born in Beatrice, Nebraska in 1919. He graduated from Beatrice High School in 1936. Gilbert attended Nebraska Wesleyan University and graduated from the University of Nebraska School of Medicine in 1943.
He interned at the University of Iowa and then joined the United States Army Medical Corps, serving as medical Battalion Surgeon in the Pacific.
After his military service, Dr. Gilbert began a urological fellowship at the Mayo Clinic. In 1955, he opened a urology practice in Lincoln. At that time he began a regular urological service to small Nebraska towns that continues today.
It is known as Urology P.C. of Lincoln, of which Dr. Gilbert is a founding member. Dr. Gilbert was president for two terms on the Nebraska Board of health.
He was active in local and national urological organizations. He was on the volunteer staffs of both Creighton University and the University of Nebraska Medical Schools.
In 2006, Dr. Gilbert donated the Frolick Homestead property to the city of Beatrice. He was a donor to the Nebraska State historical Society and the Homestead Monument and gave other gifts for a park.