Updated

Two children were rescued from a burning apartment by a homeless man, according to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue.

The fire happened around 11:33 a.m on Dec. 1. Officials say it started in the kitchen as a cooking fire.

According to Las Vegas Fire & Rescue on Twitter, 36-year-old Anival Angelo saw smoke coming from the door of the apartment and heard the two children crying. Despite being locked with a deadbolt, he was able to pull open the security door and save both children from the blaze.

The two children, who are 10 months old and 3 years old, were taken to the hospital for smoke inhalation. It is not believed that their lives are in danger.

Damage to the apartment is estimated at $50,000.

Reports at the scene indicate that the children were dropped off by their mother to their grandfather’s residence. The stove burst into flames while he was cooking fries and chicken, so he used a window to get outside.

The grandfather was apparently in the back of the apartment and couldn’t get to the front, which is where the children were.

Written by Bryce Riley for KTNV.

This story originally appeared on Simplemost. Checkout Simplemost for other great tips and ideas to make the most out of life.


Outbrain