A Beatrice man was arrested Sunday morning for attempted murder after allegedly shooting another man in the neck.

Shortly after 4 a.m. Sunday, Gage County deputies Were dispatched to 27522 S.W. 32nd Road, on the southwest outskirts of Beatrice, for a reported shooting. Deputies and Beatrice police officers arrived on the scene and there were multiple people standing on a porch at the residence.

According to a press release from the sheriff’s office, the victim of the shooting was lying on the front porch with a serious injury to his neck. The victim was bleeding from the back of his neck and a female subject was holding his head and applying a towel to the wounded area.

Beatrice Fire and Rescue treated the victim at the scene and then transported him to Bryan Health in Lincoln for further medical treatment. As of Monday morning the victim was in critical condition with a severe injury to his neck and spinal cord.

The investigation revealed that 32-year-old Nathan King of the residence was arguing with the victim on the porch. Authorities believe King threatened to shoot the victim, then went in the residence and fired a shot through the front door, hitting the victim.

Arrest documents state that while the victim was receiving treatment, he told deputies King had shot him. Additionally, two female witnesses told authorities King shot the victim through the glass door of the residence.

King was located at the scene and placed into custody. King was transported to the Gage County Detention Center where he was lodged for attempted murder, second-degree assault, use of a deadly weapon to commit a felony, and terroristic threats.

Sheriff Millard Gustafson said more charges are possible, depending on the victim's recovery.

“It depends on what happens to the individual at the hospital,” he said. “That could change everything, but right now it’s where we’re at. It’s unfortunate, but (the victim) is lucky he’s still alive. That’s the main thing.”

Gustafson said the argument occurred during a party at the residence, and around half of his staff was involved in the investigation.

King's bond was set at $100,000 with a 10 percent deposit on Monday morning. His next hearing is set for April 6.



Load comments