A 13-year-old boy was taken to the hospital on Tuesday after suffering an accidental gunshot wound to the foot.
Just before 6 p.m. on Tuesday, Gage County Sheriff’s deputies were dispatched to the Beatrice Community Hospital after the boy had been brought to the emergency room with a gunshot wound.
Gage County Sheriff Millard Gustafson said the boy was at home in a rural area when the family dogs started barking. The sheriff said the boy thought he heard intruders outside and went to investigate.
“He grabbed, I think, a .38 revolver and went outside to check what was going on and the gun went off,” Gustafson said. “It went through the top of his foot and exited out the bottom.”
Deputies determined the gunshot wound was accidental and that no laws were believed to have been broken.
The boy’s injuries were not life-threatening, Gustafson said, and he was transported to Lincoln for additional medical treatment.
Gustafson said that the family told deputies that they’d had a problem with ammunition malfunctioning.
The deputies were dispatched to the hospital, Gustafson said, which is protocol in such cases, to make sure the wounds really were caused by an accident.
“Sometimes people might not tell the truth, believe it or not,” Gustfson said. “And the hospital is obligated to call us.”