The best gifts can’t be bought in a store. The American Red Cross urges eligible donors to give more life by donating blood this December.
Alison Wissen knows the power of blood donations. She received 22 units of blood products after experiencing complications during childbirth.
“I truly owe my life to blood donors,” she said. “Even the skilled hands of my surgeons could not have saved me without the blood."
Because of blood and platelet donors, Wissen will be able to celebrate the holidays with her husband and three children.
In December, donations decline but the needs of patients remain steady. During the holiday season, set aside an hour to give the most important gift – give blood and give more life. To encourage donations, all those who come to give blood or platelets from Dec. 21, 2017 through Jan. 7, 2018, will receive a long-sleeved Red Cross t-shirt, while supplies last.
Make an appointment to give blood by downloading the free Red Cross blood donor app, visiting redcrossblood.org or calling 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767).
Upcoming blood donation opportunities
- Dec. 29, 2017 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Louisville Senior Center, located at 423 Elm St.
- Dec. 28, 2017 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Holiday Inn, located at 4005 N. Sixth St.
- Dec. 29, 2017 from 12:30 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. at the Beatrice YMCA, located at 1801 Scott St.
- Dec. 18, 2017 from 12:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the Plymouth Community Center, located at 307 East Main St.
- Dec. 19, 2017 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the American Red Cross Capital City chapter building, located at 220 Oakcreek Drive.
- Dec. 19, 2017 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Wilderness Ridge, located at 1800 Wilderness Woods Place.
- Dec. 21, 2017 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Bess Dodson Walt Branch Library, located at 6701 S. 14th St.
- Dec. 21, 2017 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Victor E. Anderson Branch Library, located at 3635 Touzalin Ave.
- Dec. 22, 2017 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at Charles H. Gere Branch Library, located at 2400 S. 56th St.
- Dec. 22, 2017 from 11:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. at Gageway Mall, located at 6100 O St.
- Dec. 22, 2017 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Channel 8 KLKN TV office, located at 3240 S. 10th St.
- Dec. 26, 2017 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the American Red Cross Capital City chapter building, located at 220 Oakcreek Drive.
- Dec. 29, 2017 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Chick-fil-A at SouthPointe Pavilions, located at 6810 S. 27th St.
- Dec. 22, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Arbor Day Foundation, located at 2700 Sylvan Road.
- Dec. 20, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Community Memorial Hospital, located at 1579 Midland Ave.
- Dec. 27, 2017 from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Talmage Community Building on Main Street.
- Dec. 21, 2017 from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. at the Methodist Church, located at 849 F St.
- Dec. 20, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the fairgrounds 4-H building, locate at 1034 Fourth St.
- Dec. 19, 2017 from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the VFW Club, located at 130 W. 13th St.
How to donate blood
Simply download the American Red Cross blood donor app, visit redcrossblood.org or call 1-800-RED CROSS (1-800-733-2767) to make an appointment or for more information. All blood types are needed to ensure a reliable supply for patients. A blood donor card, a driver’s license, or two other forms of identification are required at check-in. Individuals who are 17 years of age in most states (or 16, with parental consent where allowed by state law), weigh at least 110 pounds and are in generally good health may be eligible to donate blood. High school students and other donors 18 years of age and younger also have to meet certain height and weight requirements.
Blood and platelet donors can save time at their next donation by using RapidPass to complete their pre-donation reading and health history questionnaire online, on the day of their donation, from a computer or mobile device. To get started and learn more, visit redcrossblood.org/RapidPass and follow the instructions on the site.