Beatrice, NE 68310
About Beatrice Daily Sun
Only three days after the first issue of the Beatrice Daily Sun came off the presses in 1902 headlines proclaimed "Horrible Fire" and "Beatrice Flooded." Since those two breaking news events the Daily Sun has provided coverage of news, sports and entertainment for Southeast Nebraska and Northern Kansas for nearly 100 years.
The paper was founded in 1902 by G.P. Marvin. Marvin had been in the newspaper business for several years prior to starting the Daily Sun. He started his first Beatrice paper, The Gage County Democrat, in 1879. Selling that paper in 1892 Marvin agreed not to publish another daily paper for 10 years. After that time, however, he founded the Daily Sun which was run by his family for 74 years.
The newspaper's first home was on the second floor of the LePoidevin building. The $10-a-month rent purchased space above a lunch counter whose floors would vibrate when the press ran. During the first year of operations the paper did not even have a cash drawer, later a 10-cent muffin pan held the daily receipts before they were taken to the bank.
In 1907 the paper moved to a location on South Sixth Street, and then later to a building on Seventh and Ella streets where it remained for 45 years. Newspaper founder G.P. Marvin died unexpectedly in 1908 and his son E.M. Marvin took over. A competing newspaper, the Express, was purchased in 1924, and in 1927 the Daily Sun changed from a morning to an evening paper. A rival morning newspaper, the Beatrice Times began publishing in 1942, but stopped publishing in 1952, and its building was purchased by the Daily Sun, and was remodeled in 1963 into the newspaper's current facility.
E.M. Marvin retired in 1964 and his sons, Bob and George Marvin, became co-publishers, until the paper was purchased by Stauffer Communications Inc. in 1974. Computers arrived in the newsroom of the Daily Sun, replacing forever the typewriter, in 1978. By 1988 those computers were outdated and replaced with a new system.
The paper was purchased from Stauffer Communications in 1990 by American Publishing Co. Color became an integral part of the paper's design and layout on a daily basis in late 1997. Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. purchased the paper in 1998 and traded it to Liberty Group Publishing, in April of 1999. On Oct. 1, 1999, the Daily Sun was purchased by its current owner, Lee Enterprises, Inc
- American Express
- Payment Plan