YORK -- The Beatrice boys soccer game split a pair of games on Saturday at the York Tourney.

They lost the first game to host team York 1-0 before beating Madison 7-1 in the consolation game.

Against York, Orangemen coach Corey Wells said they controlled the majority of the game and forced York to chase them.

"This was very evident with them having to sub very frequently, especially as the game went on," Well said. "I am very proud of the way in which we played composed under pressure, made runs off the ball and continued to look to support each other in possession, which are all big things we have focused on in the preseason."

Wells said the one thing they missed was the final combinations in their attacking third of the field.

"We had a few opportunities develop, but they were mostly from a ways out or went well wide of the goal," Wells said. "To come out and play that composed in our first game of the season was very impressive."

York's goal game with less than five minutes before half time. York had possession of the ball just above the box and the ball kept bouncing around.

"We weren't able to clear it due to all of the bodies in the area, and it bounced just right for one of their players to be able to shoot and our goalkeeper was unable to see the ball until it was too late," Wells said.

Beatrice vaulted out to a 4-0 half time lead against Madison before winning 7-1.

Wells said they changed their formation in the second game and played with a second forward, allowing them to put more pressure on Madison's back like and opening more space in the midfield.

That led to more scoring opportunities, according to Wells. Taylor Satterfield opened the scoring about five minutes into the game when he made an overlapping run to the touch line.

"He beat multiple defenders and made a great finish," Wells said.

Six minutes later, Dylan Steffens found the back of the net off a corner kick taken by Tyler Boller. Less than a minute later, Tyler Boller scored off an assist from Gabriel Marcatto. Boller finished the first half scoring with a goal off an assist from Marcatto.

Wells said they possess the ball well in the first half, which led to scoring opportunities.

"After going up three goals, we started to lose a bit of our crisp play and possession," Wells said. "Part of this is due to being up early in a game, but it's also partly due to being our second game of the tournament. We talked at halftime about not playing down when you have a lead and continuing to play our style of soccer, possessing the ball and creating scoring opportunities off that possession, not just kicking the ball up the field and seeing what happens."

Three minutes into the second half, the Orangemen scored again when Quintin Hartig played a gold ball forward through the midfield to find Boller. Boller finished it for hit hat trick.

The scoring was finished off with about 16 minutes left in the game by Devin Norris, who recovered a saved shot and placed it in the corner of the net.

It was the first competition of the year for the BHS soccer team and their goal was to win the tournament, but said they stepped off the field a better team.

"I would say we definitely accomplished this goal," Wells said. "We played very good team soccer today, moving the ball quickly, supporting each other in possession, and playing calm under pressure. We hope to continue to improve as we next play at Ralston Tuesday, and host Crete on Thursday."

The Orangemen will travel to Ralston on Tuesday before hosting Crete on Thursday. Thursday will be the annual "Youth Soccer Night." All kids who wear their soccer jersey to the game gets in free. The Orangemen players will sign autographs after the game.


Load comments