LINCOLN -- The Beatrice football team was leading Waverly 28-12 when they entered a weather delay with 10:07 left in the fourth quarter Friday night at Lincoln Pius X High School.

The game entered a long rain delay and at press time Friday night, officials said they would continue waiting to see if they could get the game in before midnight.

If they couldn't get the game in Friday night, they would decide on a time to conclude the game on Saturday.

It was the first district game of the season for the Orangemen. They entered the game with a record of 5-1 while Waverly entered with a record of 4-2.

The game was originally scheduled to be played at Waverly, but rain from previous days forced the game to be moved to a turf field at Lincoln Pius X. They also moved the kickoff up to 6 p.m. from 7 p.m., hoping to get the game in before the weather hit.

Beatrice got the ball first and went nowhere on their first two plays from scrimmage, but a 25-yard pass from Trevor Schmale to Cam Jurgens and a 41-yard touchdown run by Andrew Mahoney gave the Orangemen an early 7-0 lead.

Waverly busted loose for a 41-yard run on their first play from scrimmage, but the Orangemen defense would stop the Viking’s next two runs. On the next play, a Beatrice lineman deflected the ball and David Duncan came down with the interception.

After the turnover, Beatrice took over at its own 24, but went three and out. The Orangemen defense was able to hold again and the Orangemen got the ball back at their own 42.

On the seventh play of the drive, Beatrice would use the big play again when Jurgens broke free for a 36-yard touchdown run, making it 14-0.

Waverly’s offense finally broke through on their next drive. A 29-yard touchdown run got them on the scoreboard, but the Orangemen blocked the extra point, keeping the score at 14-6.

Beatrice managed a first down on their next drive, but would turn the ball over on downs. Waverly took over at its own 37 and immediately broke free for a long touchdown run, but the play was called back due to a holding penalty. The two teams exchanged punts the rest of the half, making it 14-6 at half.

On Waverly’s first drive of the second half, Jurgens was able to intercept a pass and on Beatrice’s first offensive play, Mahoney broke loose for a 30 yard touchdown run, making it 21-6.

The Orangemen defense held again on their next offensive drive, they relied heavily on Jurgens out of the backfield. He carried it seven times and set up Mahoney’s third touchdown of the game, a nine yard run, making it 28-6 Beatrice.

Waverly struck back on their next drive. They scored of a 34-yard touchdown pass, but the extra point was blocked again, keeping the score at 28-12.

Beatrice was looking to score again and had the ball third and goal at the three yard line when the lightning started, forcing the delay.

The Orangemen will be in action again on Friday when they host Crete at the House of Orange.


Load comments