In an 1854 treaty, all the land belonging to the Otoe-Missouria in Nebraska Territory was ceded to the United States, except for reservation land set aside in southern Gage County. By 1881 the last of the reservation land was sold and the Otoe-Missouria were moved to a new reservation in Oklahoma. The Oregon Trail first enters Nebraska in the southwestern corner of Gage County. An old Indian trail, known as the DeRoin, expanded to become a major government road and is today Court Street in Beatrice. This trail continued west to connect with the Oregon Trail near Alexandria, Neb.
Gage County was established by an act of the Nebraska Territorial Legislature on March 14, 1855. The county is named after William D. Gage (1803-1855), a Methodist minister and chaplain of the first Territorial Assembly. He was one of the commissioners appointed to locate the Gage County seat. A legislative meeting in 1859 officialized Beatrice’s role as the county seat, though Blue Springs protested, claiming that it was closer to the center of the county and should therefore assume the mantle of the county political hub. Blue Springs’ challenge to the Legislature’s action was not unfounded. In 1859, the plat of Gage County placed Beatrice near its northern border with Clay County, another burgeoning county between Gage and Lancaster counties.
Though planned, the first Clay County was never organized by the Legislature, and at a meeting on July 26, 1864, Lancaster County and Gage County split what would have been Clay County. Lancaster County received the north half and Gage County the south. Another Clay County was eventually created farther west. As a result of Clay County’s demise, Gage County acquired Clatonia, Highland, Nemaha, Adams, Grant, Holt, Hanover and Hooker townships through the purchase of the land, giving the county its present day shape. Today, Gage County covers an area of 855 square miles containing more than 550,000 acres of land. Jefferson, Saline, Lancaster, Johnson and Pawnee counties in Nebraska and the state of Kansas border it.
Gage County Board of Supervisors
The County Board of Supervisors manages Gage County funds and business except where otherwise provided for by the state Legislature. There are seven members on the board. Members are elected for a four-year term.
County Board members
District One: Myron Dorn, chairman, 15717 E. Aspen Rd., Adams. 402-988-3835.
District Two: Matt Bauman, 8375 W. Lilac Rd., Beatrice. 402-228-6315.
District Three: Erich Tiemann, 29735 S 40 Ests., Beatrice. 402-520-0295.
District Four: Dennis Byars, 823 N. Eighth St., Beatrice. 402-223-4439
District Five: Gary Lytle, 1720 N. 17th St., Beatrice. 402-223-2693
District Six: John Hill, 3681 E. Locust Lane, Holmesville. 402-228-0307.
District Seven: Terry Jurgens, 48274 SW 75th Rd., Odell. 402-766-4737.
County Board districts
District One: the townships of Adams, Nemaha, Highland, Hooker, Hanover, Filley, Logan and Sherman.
District Two: the townships of Clatonia, Holt, Grant and Blakely; Midland Township; the north half of Lincoln Township; and Third Ward, Third Precinct of Beatrice.
District Three: the east half of Riverside Township and First Ward, First, Second and Third Precincts of Beatrice.
District Four: Second Ward, First, Second and Third Precincts of Beatrice.
District Five: Fourth Ward, First, Second and Third Precincts of Beatrice.
District Six: the townships of Blue Springs-Wymore, Island Grove, Liberty, Barneston and Rockford.
District Seven: the townships of Glenwood, Elm, Paddock and Sicily; the south half of Lincoln Township; the west half of Riverside Township; and Third Ward, First and Second Precincts of Beatrice.
Tim Stutzman, 612 Grant St., P.O. Box 661, Beatrice, NE 68310, phone 402-223-1305, fax 402-223-1368.
The Gage County Emergency Management Agency is a county agency authorized by county resolution, and affirmed by county-city inter-local agreements and state statutes under the Nebraska Emergency Management Act.
The agency's office is located on the lower level of the Courthouse. The regular agency staff consists of a full time paid Director, 2 part-time paid Deputy Directors, and volunteer personnel.
Primary functions include assisting emergency services in planning for efficient operations during disasters, acting as liaison between emergency operations agencies and county-city executives, updates in the Local Emergency Operations Plan, maintaining the Emergency Operations Center for use at any time, development and maintenance of the all hazard warning system throughout Gage County, training severe weather spotters and coordinating storm watch operations, coordinating county-wide hazardous materials, planning reporting and response, planning and conducting various types of training exercises, instructing and assisting the general public in disaster procedures, and assisting schools, hospitals, nursing homes, business and industry in developing and implementing disaster plans.
The Director also serves as the Counties Safety Officer and as the information coordinator for the Local Emergency Planning Committee. The office also serves as the County Emergency Operations Center for use in coordinating disaster response operations and has auxiliary communications equipment for the county. The EOC has auxiliary electrical power.
Emergency Operations can also be done mobile with the agencies 4wd Suburban vehicle. This also is equipped with auxiliary radio equipment and supplies. A 12kw mobile generator is also available to be used for auxiliary electrical power and lighting.
The county assessor is responsible for discovering, listing, and valuing of real property (residential, commercial/industrial, and agricultural/horticultural) for tax purposes. Additionally, the county assessor processes personal property tax returns, homestead exemption applications, and tax exempt applications from government and non-profit organizations.
Patricia Milligan serves as the county assessor. The county assessor is an elected position with a term of four years.
The assessor's office is located at the southeast corner of the second floor at the Gage County Courthouse.
The County Treasurer's Office collects all revenues for the county, including all real estate and personal taxes, and disburses to the proper political subdivisions. The office also handles all motor vehicle registration and titles, and issues driver licenses, learner permits and other I.D. cards and permits.
Laurie Wollenburg is the county treasurer. The treasurer's office is located on the second floor of the Gage County Courthouse.
The County Clerk’s Office handles a wide variety of records and services.
The office is in charge of elections, military discharge papers and the courthouse payroll.
If one needs a marriage license or wishes to register to vote, the County Clerk’s Office will handle it. The county clerk also serves as the secretary for the County Board of Equalization and the County Board of Supervisors.
Dawn Hill has served as Gage County clerk since 2007. The county clerk is an elected position for a four-year term. There is no term limit. Michelle Bloomquist is deputy county clerk.
The County Clerk’s office is located on the second floor in the southwest corner of the Gage County Courthouse.
Clerk of the district court
The office of the Clerk of the District Court is in charge of all civil and criminal filings in district court.
If one wishes to sue another party he or she must file the case in this office. Notices, orders and summons are issued here, and felony sentences and pleadings are filed here.
This office keeps track of judgments entered in child support and property settlements.
The office of the Clerk of the District Court also serves as the jury commissioner that compiles a list of eligible jury members for trials.
The clerk of the District Court also serves as clerk of the board of mental health and sets up mental health hearings.
Passports and protection orders can also be obtained through this office.
Diane Wells has served as clerk of the district court since 1984. It is an elected position with a term of four years. There is no term limit. Thelma Loemker is deputy clerk.
The clerk’s office is located on the south side of the third floor of the Gage County Courthouse.
Register of Deeds
The Register of Deeds Office is responsible for maintaining and securing the land records of the county. The Register of Deeds Office is a separate office in counties that have more than 20,000 inhabitants.
Duties include preserving old land records and entering newly recorded land transactions into numerical indexes and computer database. Records recorded are warranty deeds, mortgages, deeds of trust, plats and any other documents that affect a specific piece of land in the county.
Donna Munoz is the register of deeds. Jennifer Neukirch is the deputy register of deeds.
Records can be accessed via the Internet at www.nebraskadeedsonline.us. The Register of Deeds' office is located on the first floor of the Gage County Courthouse.
The office of the County Surveyor is in charge of all the original government corner markers that were established when land was divided into homesteads.
The office is in charge of perpetuating the markers, keeping records and making maps for the county.
Christopher Witulski has served as county surveyor since January 2013. Since 1980 it has been an elected position and there is no term limit.
County surveyor records are on file at the County Clerk’s Office.
The office of the County Judge has criminal jurisdiction over misdemeanor offenses and civil jurisdiction over suits of $51,000 or less.
County Court is the probate court and is in charge of wills and guardianships. It also is the juvenile court that deals with neglected and delinquent children.
Traffic fines are paid and wills are deposited in this office.
Hon. Steven B. Timm has served as Gage County judge since April 1980. He was appointed by the governor and is up for retention election by the voters of Gage County every six years.
The County Judge’s Office is located on the third floor in the southwest corner of the Gage County Courthouse in Beatrice.
District court judge
The District Court for Gage and Jefferson counties handles felony criminal cases and civil cases of more than $51,000.
The district court also hears divorce actions and protection orders.
The court is located on the third floor of the Gage County Courthouse in Beatrice.
Hon. Paul W. Korslund is the District Court judge.
The Highway Superintendent’s Office is in charge of building and maintaining county roads and bridges, maintaining gravel roads and keeping up road signs.
Patrol operators work out of county barns in Odell, Wymore, Adams, Filley, Clatonia and Beatrice to keep roads repaired throughout the county.
The highway superintendent position is a position hired by the County Board of Supervisors on a yearly basis. Galen Engel was hired as the Gage County highway superintendent in 2013.
The Highway Superintendent’s Office is located at 823 S. Eighth St. in Beatrice.
Roger Harris is Gage County Attorney. Rick Schreiner is the chief deputy attorney.
The primary job of the county attorney is to prosecute any violations of state laws in the jurisdiction of Gage County.
The county attorney is also the legal adviser for the county board and all other county offices.
The office also handles planning and zoning matters, bad check prosecutions, tax foreclosures, juvenile petitions, mental health petitions and enforces open meetings within the county.
The Gage County Attorney’s Office is located on the fourth floor of the Gage County Courthouse.
As a division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska, Cooperative Extension has a partnership with local government and the U.S. Department of Agriculture. The emphasis of UN Cooperative Extension is education.
Cooperative Extension’s mission is to help Nebraskans enhance their lives through research-based education. Extension is found throughout the state in 83 county offices that serve all 93 counties, and at research and Extension centers at Scottsbluff, North Platte and Norfolk, and on the flagship Lincoln campus. Since its beginning, Extension has delivered research-based knowledge to people through direct teaching and publications. Today Extension also uses new technology such as satellite delivery, Internet video streaming and Web-based curriculum modules to link people with information.
Working as Extension Educators in Gage County are Paul Hay, Nicole Stoner, Kayla Colgrove, Abigail Kostal and Jackie Huls; and Jane Esau serves as the 4-H program assistant. The Gage County Cooperative Extension Office is located at 1115 W. Scott St.
To obtain a driver's license in Gage County, you must go to the Driver's Examination Office located at the courthouse. The following information is from the Nebraska Driver's Manual:
Any Nebraska resident who operates a motor vehicle on the streets and highways of Nebraska must have a license. Any new resident with a valid license from another state must obtain a Nebraska license within 30 days.
A Class O License authorizes a license holder to operate any motor vehicle (including a moped and an ATV) except a motorcycle or commercial motor vehicle.
The minimum age to obtain a Nebraska driver's license is 17. Individuals under the age of 18 may not apply until they have held a Provisional Operator's Permit (POP) for at least 12 months and have not accumulated three or more points on their driving record during the previous 12-month period. A Provisional Operator's Permit (POP) can be obtained at the age of 16 if the individual has held a school learner's permit (LPE), school permit (SCP) or learner's permit (LPD) for at least six months and has not accumulated three or more points on their driving record during the six month period immediately preceding the POP application date AND successfully completes a DMV approved Nebraska driver safety course OR after completing 50 hours of legal drive time with a licensed Nebraska driver 21 years of age or older.
For a new license, vision, knowledge and road tests will be given. A new resident who has a valid driver's license from another state must pass a vision test and could be required to take a road test at the examiner's discretion. For a renewal license, vision must be tested, the knowledge test may be waived and road tests are given at the examiner's discretion.
Licenses are valid for five years if you are over the age of 21. Your license may be renewed 90 days before its expiration date. However, if you are turning 21, you may get your paperwork completed 60 days prior to your birthday and get your actual license issued up to 10 days before your birthday.
Steps in obtaining a new license or state identification card:
1. Show proof of name, date of birth and address (at least two documents are required for proof of address).
2. Fill out a renewal notice or data form. Information will include name, home address and mailing address, physical description, birth information, Social Security number and medical history information. The DMV sends renewal notices to individuals 90 days prior to the expiration of their current license or ID Card.
3. Have picture taken by DMV staff.
4. Take applicable tests.
5. After you pass the test(s), present your issuance certificate to the county treasurer within 90 days of the examination.
6. Pay the required fee.
7. A 30-day receipt (with or without driving privileges) will be issued. In approximately five to seven working days, you will receive your permit, license or State ID Card via U.S. Mail at the address you provided to DMV staff.
8. If you don't pass the knowledge or road test, you will be issued a refusal certificate that will tell you what items to study or practice and when you may retest.
For more information, pick up a Drivers Manual from the Gage County Treasurer's Office, the Drivers License Examiners Office or log onto www.dmv.ne.gov.
The Supreme Court is the highest appellate court, and can exercise original jurisdiction in certain cases.
Gage County is in District Five.
Supreme Court Judge
District Court is the trial court for all felony cases, civil cases involving more than $45,000 and domestic relation cases.
It hears and determines appeals from county courts and administrative agencies. Gage County is governed by District Court 1.
District 1 Court Judges
Daniel E. Bryan Jr., Auburn, 402-335-6309.
Vicky Johnson, Wilber, 402-821-3179.
Paul W. Korslund, Beatrice, 402-223-1332.
County Court hears all misdemeanor cases including traffic and municipal ordinance violations, criminal, preliminary hearings in felony cases, civil cases of less than $45,000, small claims, probate, guardianship, conservatorship, adoption, eminent domain, domestic relations matters and juvenile courts.
District 1 County Judges:
Steve Timm, Beatrice, 402-223-1323.
Linda A. Bauer, Fairbury, 402-729-6801.
Curtis L. Maschman, Falls City, 402-245-2812.
Workers’ Compensation Court
Workers’ Compensation Court handles matters of occupational injury or illness. Judges have jurisdiction and travel throughout the state to hear disputed cases. Hearings are held in the county seats.
12th and 13th floors
P.O. Box 98908
Lincoln, NE 68509-8908
Nebraska Court of Appeals
In the 1990 general election, Nebraska voters approved a constitutional amendment to create the Nebraska Court of Appeals, an intermediate appellate court. The court hears criminal and civil cases that have been appealed except for cases involving the death penalty or cases raising constitutional questions, which must be appealed to the Nebraska Supreme Court.
The Resolution Center
The 1991 Legislature created the Office of Dispute Resolution within the Office of the State Court Administrator. The office coordinates the development of mediation centers throughout the state, which serve as an alternative to the courts as a means to resolve problems. Mediators are neutral individuals who assist conflicting parties in resolving their own problems mutually. All types of civil cases, such as family matters, landlord/tenant, employer/employee, community and business disputes can be handled by the mediation centers.
Mediation centers are located in Lincoln, Omaha, Walthill, Scottsbluff, Beatrice and Kearney.
The telephone number for the Southeast Nebraska Mediation Center located in Adams Hall on the Southeast Community College-Beatrice Campus is 402-223-6061.
Foundations in Gage County
Southeast Community College Educational Foundation
Date of incorporation: June 1975
Executive director: Jack Huck
Address: 4771 W. Scott Rd., Education Square Room 214, Beatrice, NE 68310
Purpose: To support the Southeast Community College board and the three campuses in the best way possible with primary responsibility aimed at scholarships.
Beatrice Community Hospital Foundation
Date of incorporation: 1966
Executive director: Sam Rennick
Telephone: (402) 223-3078
Mission statement: The mission of Beatrice Community Hospital Foundation, Inc., is to provide financial resources for present and future needs of Beatrice Community Hospital and Health Center.
The foundation helps generate thousands of dollars in grants to the hospital for community services including Breast Cancer Awareness, Cardiac Rehab, Diabetes Support, Health Fair, Home Health, Hospice, Immunization Clinic, P.A.T.C.H./Wellness, Ready-Set-Go as well as providing funds for the Scholarship Program, Spiritual Life Ministry, Employee Crisis Fund and other vital services.
Beatrice Educational Foundation
Date of incorporation: December 1987
Purpose: To support and encourage activities that directly or indirectly enhance or strengthen educational opportunities for all students in Beatrice Public Schools.
Address: 320 N. Fifth St., Beatrice, NE 68310
Scholarship funds: Scholarships administered by the foundation include the Peter W. Jepsen Scholarship, Frances Fellwock Reed Scholarship, Perley and Bessie V. Bates Scholarship, George McNenny Scholarship, Harold R. Deitemeyer Scholarship, Don Linn Scholarship, Fred and Virginia Vette Scholarship, Fitzwater Honors Scholarship, Diane Cornelius Scholarship, Esther L. Damkroger Scholarship, Leatha Grimes Scholarship, NCA Affiliate 23 Scholarship. The total annual value of scholarships administered by the foundation is approximately $55,000.
Beatrice Airport Foundation
Date of incorporation: Dec. 6, 1990
Purpose: To maintain, develop, increase and extend the facilities and services of the Beatrice Municipal Airport.
To solicit and receive by gift, grant, devise, or bequest and to acquire by purchase, lease or exchange or otherwise property both real and personal.
Southeast Nebraska YMCA Foundation
Date of incorporation: March 8, 1983
Executive Director of the Beatrice YMCA: Alison Leonard
Purpose: To oversee the ongoing operations of the Beatrice YMCA and provide necessary financial support to cover unforeseen and specific projects, including capital improvements and building expenses.
Beatrice Public Library Foundation
Date of incorporation: Nov. 13, 1978
Address: 1510 Oak St., Beatrice, NE 68310
Purpose: To solicit and receive gifts, bequests, grants and devises of property of any kind for use and benefit of the Beatrice Public Library. The foundation provides ongoing support for the library.
Gage County United Way
Date of incorporation: Nov. 11, 1980
Purpose: To support agencies who serve the Gage County area. Agencies include Lutheran Family Services, Beatrice Mary Family YMCA, Beatrice Youth Center for Teens, Homestead Girl Scout Council, Youth Recreation Inc., American Red Cross, Salvation Army, Mother-to-Mother Ministry, Meals on Wheels of Beatrice, FamilyResource Center, Pioneer Foster Grandparents.
Gage County Foundation
Date of incorporation: 1981
Address: P.O. Box 126, Beatrice, NE 68310
Purpose: The foundation exists for the purpose of raising and providing funds for the benefit of Gage County non-profit organizations engaged in the pursuit of serving the educational, cultural, recreational, historical, health and all meaningful needs of Gage County citizens. Particular emphasis is given small organizations serving Gage County that have limited ability to solicit necessary funding.
Homestead National Monument of America
The National Park Service welcomes visitors at Homestead National Monument of America located four miles west of Beatrice on Nebraska Highway 4.
Museum exhibits, a video presentation and park trails reveal the extent of changes that took place in America from 1863 until 1936 because of the Homestead Act of 1862. This site contains the actual 160 acres selected by Daniel Freeman as his claim when the Homestead Act took effect on Jan. 1, 1863. Visitors learn of the promises of a new life that brought thousands of homesteaders to the Great Plains. The government's plan to give away 160 acres of free land to the head of a household required the settler to pay a filing fee, build a house and live on the land and cultivate it for five years.
Today, Homestead National Monument of America has a visitor center that features museum exhibits, audio-visual programs and special activities that depict different facets of homesteading. A restored pioneer cabin and the one-room Freeman School are also open to the public. Two and one-half miles of easy trails wind through 100 acres of restored tall grass prairie.
The monument is open from 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. year round except for Thanksgiving Day, Christmas and New Year's Day. Visitor Center gates to the parking lot close at 5 p.m., but the trails are open until sunset. For information on current activities, tune your radio to 1610 AM, the Travelers Information Service, or contact: Superintendent Mark Engler, Homestead National Monument of America, Route 3, Box 47, Beatrice, NE 68310; 402-223-3514.
Gage County Museum
Gage County Historical Society and Museum is located at Second and Court streets, 101 N. Second St., in Beatrice.
The history of Gage County is housed in a 1906 Burlington Depot. The Neoclassical Revival style of the depot was chosen to reflect the growth and affluence of Beatrice and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The Society's collection offers an insight into the people, railroads, industries, medical, and agricultural history of Gage County. The Society has a willing staff available to guide genealogists in finding those lost Gage County relatives.
The Society's collection includes obituaries, county history books, cemetery and marriage records, photographs, numerous newspaper articles and a whole host of other possible options to guide the researcher in his quest. The Gage County Historical Society has an extensive photographic collection.
Email Address: email@example.com
The museum is open year-round Tuesday-Friday 9 a.m.-noon and 1 p.m.- 5 p.m., Sunday 1:30 p.m.- 5 p.m., and Saturdays from Memorial Day to Labor Day. It is closed during all major holidays. Donations are welcomed. Tours are available by appointment. It is handicap accessible.
Gage County National Register of Historic Sites
101 N. Second St., Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1975
The Burlington Depot was built in 1906 for the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad in a Neoclassical Revival style. Architect W.T. Krausch designed this depot especially for Beatrice and Burlington architects implemented the plans. The design is unique on the Burlington's Nebraska line as most of their depots were built from stock plans. The building was constructed with Omaha pressed brick with Bedford stone trim, the interior has red oak trim and tile floors. It became the Gage County Museum in 1973.
Christ Church Episcopal
424 N. Fifth St., Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1999
The cornerstone for Christ Church Episcopal was laid in March 1889, and the first services were held in the building on Easter Sunday, April 6, 1890. The architects were Mendelssohn, Fisher and Lawrie of Omaha, who also designed the Paddock Hotel and opera house, which were under construction at the same time. The all-stone exterior is of early English Gothic, a revival of an old style, which dates back to the 17th century, adapted to 19th century requirements. The roof is of gray slate, inlaid with red slate crosses.
Elijah Filley Stone Barn
13282 E. Scott Road, Filley
Listed on the National Register in 1976
This native limestone bank barn was built during the grasshopper plague of 1874 by area farmers and craftsmen. It stands as a tribute to all those that stayed and weathered the adverse conditions to make a home in Gage County. The barn is supported by walls two feet thick on the first floor and 18 inches thick on the upper two floors. It measures 54 feet by 44 feet and the sidewalls are 27 feet from the base to the roof plate. Edwin Pedersen willed the barn, three acres of land and $10,000 for restoration to the Gage County Historical Society. The barn can be viewed from the outside at any time. Tours of 12 people or more can be arranged by appointment by calling the Gage County Historical Society. Open during events. Information available on grounds. Living History program third Sunday in October. Call the Gage County Historical Society for more information at 402-228-1679.
220 N. Fifth St., Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1976
The Carnegie Building was completed in 1903 with a grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation. The architect was local resident, George A. Berlinghoff. It opened as the Beatrice Public Library on Jan. 1, 1904. The building is one of only two outstanding examples of Beaux-Arts Classicism style in Nebraska. The Beatrice Public Library moved out of the building in 1993.
701 N. Seventh St., Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1976
The Kilpatrick Mansion is a two and one-half story Renaissance Revival house that represents the architectural style of the early 1900s. The home was completed in 1905 for S.D. Kilpatrick of the Kilpatrick Brothers Railroad contracting firm. The Kilpatrick brothers, Gage County homesteaders, contributed in a big way to railroad and the Western expansion. Working as railroad contractors, the brothers built more than 3,339 miles of rail line west of the Mississippi River, plus 34 miles of water pipe line, two reservoirs for a privately owned company and a tunnel and reservoir for the United States Government. This house is today a private residence.
East from Sixth and Grable, Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1979
The Chautauqua Tabernacle was first used in 1889 and was built for the recitations given at this Interstate Chautauqua Assembly site. These assemblies were based on high moral standards and offered secular and religious education. The Chautauqua grounds included 90 acres of surrounding ground. This site was known as Chautauqua Park in 1916.
Lake Bridenthal House
113 S. Ninth St., Wymore
Listed on the National Register in 1983
The house, built during the 1880s, attains architectural significance as a representation of the Victorian Queen Anne style. Mr. Bridenthal played a significant role in the banking and lumber industries of Wymore. The house is today a private residence.
Gage County Courthouse
612 Grant St., Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1989
The Gage County Courthouse, built 1890-1891, is an example of Richardsonian-Romanesque style by architects Gunn and Curtis. The stonework treatment is divided into three sections. The first was of lighter local stone that is rock faced and forms the basement, the next is a molded course of less rough, but still rock faced stone and the last is smooth stone with flush joints above. County officials first occupied it in 1892. It is still being used as the Gage County Courthouse.
105 N. Sixth St., Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1987
The five-story Renaissance Revival Style Paddock Hotel was constructed in 1924. In 1887-88, Senator A.S. Paddock built a five-story elegant hotel at this location, but it was destroyed by fire in 1919. The people of Beatrice, missing the old hotel, formed the Beatrice Hotel Company, selling stock to raise money to build another Paddock Hotel. Today, this hotel is a retirement housing facility known as the Paddock-Kensington.
Farmers State Bank
601 Main St., Adams
Listed on the National Register in 1992
The bank represents the characteristic type of building and location that distinguished banking during the early 1900s. It was constructed in 1908. The building remained the Farmer's State Bank until 1924. The Adams State Bank purchased it in 1925 until 1936 when it became the Adams Post Office. In 1991 the Post Office moved out and restoration began. The building is now being used for commercial purposes.
Beatrice State Development Farm
25478 South 23rd, Beatrice
Listed on the National Register in 1997
The Institution for Feeble Minded Youth was created by state legislation in 1885. The city of Beatrice donated 40 acres and $4,000 for the Institution.
The purpose of the Institution was “to provide special means of improvement for that unfortunate portion of the community who were born, or by disease, have become imbecile or feeble minded.”
The farm was closed down in the mid 1970s when public institutions could no longer utilize unpaid labor of residents. The property was sold in 1992 when it was used as a bed and breakfast known as the Carriage House.
Source: Gage County Historical Society
Employment and job training
Experience Works is a national, nonprofit organization that provides training and employment services for mature workers (age 55+) with limited income. Beatrice office phone, 402-228-1212.