You have permission to edit this article.
Edit
Firefighters suspect cigarette caused grass fire
editor's pick

Firefighters suspect cigarette caused grass fire

  • Updated
{{featured_button_text}}

Firefighters suspect a cigarette caused a grass fire near Pickrell Monday afternoon.

Pickrell Fire and Rescue received a call at about 2:15 that grass in the ditch on the east side of Highway 77 between Pickrell and Chestnut roads was on fire.

“That’s the only thing we can think of,” said Alan Wallman with the department, referring to a cigarette tossed out the window of a car driving on the highway. “Somebody throws a cigarette out the window every day. But we don’t know if that’s what caused it. We can’t say for sure.”

Pickrell Fire and Rescue was the only department to respond. They got the fire under control within about a half hour, Wallman said.

“It doesn’t take much to get that grass started, because it is dry,” Wallman said. “It means people have to be careful.”

The fire extended from east of the shoulder to the crest of the hill dividing the ditch and adjacent farmland.

0
0
0
0
0

Be the first to know

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Related to this story

Most Popular

Get up-to-the-minute news sent straight to your device.

Topics

News Alerts

Breaking News