Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said he'll begin to roll out details of the new COVID-19 relief package to senators as soon as next week and suggested it will include new funding for school reopenings, some unemployment benefits and money for health care providers.
Expected to hit $1 trillion, the emerging Republican package shows shifting priorities as the pandemic crisis deepens nationwide. Once reluctant to approve more aid, Republicans and the White House now say more is needed.
In recent days, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin has been reaching out to GOP senators ahead of negotiations with Democrats, who already approved a $3 trillion House bill.
Here's an update on all developments. Scroll or swipe further for in-depth coverage.
- Top White House trade adviser Peter Navarro openly attacked Dr. Anthony Fauci in an op-ed on Tuesday, after the White House repeatedly insisted there has been no effort to undermine the nation's leading infectious disease expert.
- Production at America's factories, utilities and mines surged last month, but remained well below pre-pandemic levels.
- The French tourist industry received a further boost Wednesday with the partial reopening of Disneyland Paris and the opening up of the top floor of the Eiffel Tower.
- A record number of people with the coronavirus were in Texas hospitals on Tuesday as the state also set a record for the number of new cases reported.
- California revamped its guidelines for COVID-19 testing to focus of those in hospitals or considered at high risk of infection as the surging pandemic strained testing capacity.
- The first COVID-19 vaccine tested in the U.S. revved up people’s immune systems just the way scientists had hoped, researchers reported Tuesday -- as the shots are poised to begin key final testing.
- It's a fresh taste of bitter medicine for New Orleans: A sharp increase in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations is forcing bars in the good-time-loving, tourist-dependent city to shut down again just a month after they were allowed to partially reopen.
For more summaries and full reports, please select from the articles below. Scroll further for a quiz on virus news and 9 charts tracking the spread.
Virus by the numbers
9 charts tracking the spread:
Coronavirus cases and deaths by day
COVID-19 cases by county
The coronavirus 'curve,' by country
Coronavirus spreads across the United States
COVID-19 testing, ranked state by state
AP chart: More virus cases in GOP-run states
Racial breakdown of COVID-19 cases
US spread compared to other countries
Map shows global spread of coronavirus
Concerned about COVID-19?
Sign up now to get the most recent coronavirus headlines and other important local and national news sent to your email inbox daily.