PhotoFiles: Military installations across Nebraska Nov 13, 2019 Facebook Twitter SMS Email Print Save Nebraska has a rich history of military facilities across the state. Check out these archive photos of installations. Fort Robinson These log barracks at Fort Robinson were constructed about 1883 and once housed the laundry and the canteen. Journal Star file photo B-47 Bomber A B-47 stratojet nuzzles up to the boom of a fueler as the planes soar over the Nebraska countryside in 1955. The winged bomber of the 98th Strategic Aerospace Wing were stationed at the Lincoln Air Force Base until 1965, when the Air Force shut down the Lincoln base as part of a nationwide reduction in military forces. Journal Star file photo Fort Niobrara A cavalry division from Fort Niobrara outside Valentine leaves the fort for duty at the beginning of the Spanish-American War in 1898. The fort was built to protect the settlers and to maintain law and order on the frontier. Journal Star file photo Destroying Ammunition At the Hastings Naval Ammunition Depot, about 600,000 tons of demilitarized ammunition was disposed of from 1958 to 1965. The explosive materials were removed from the shells and disposed of, often by burning. Journal Star file photo Fort Omaha This old guardhouse at Fort Omaha is believed to have been built before 1878. Fort Omaha was established in 1868 three miles north of Omaha. It was first called Sherman Barracks, then Omaha Barracks and finally Fort Omaha. Journal Star file photo B-52 Bomber Col. David Johnson hugs his daughter, Tracy, after flying the oldest B-52 in the Air Force's bomber inventory before it was retired in 1989. AP file photo Lincoln Air Force Base This panoramic photo shows the Lincoln Air Force Base in early 1951. The base was closed in 1965 as part of a nationwide reduction in military forces. Journal Star file photo Fort Sidney Sidney's colorful history dates to the establishment of Fort Sidney, which was built to protect railroad workers and settlers. Journal Star file photo Fort Mitchell Fort Mitchell is the only Nebraska fort never recognized by the government. It was established in 1864 to protect the transcontinental telegraph line. There is no record of its existence after 1867. Journal Star file photo Fort Robinson In 1905, this building housed the post commanders at Fort Robinson. Today, it has been converted to a museum by the Nebraska State Historical Society. Journal Star file photo Touring The Bird More than 10,000 people fulfilled their fancy for flight during Offutt Air Force Base's annual open house. Some visitors took the opportunity to climb aboard an aircraft in 1984. Journal Star file photo Fort Crook This photograph of Fort Crook was taken in 1897. The fort progressed through several phases, including serving as a draftee induction station and site of the Martin bomber assembly plant during World War II. Journal Star file photo Fort McPherson This 100-year-old cedar log cabin is believed to have been the officers' headquarters at Fort McPherson. AP file photo Fort Hartsuff The newly erected Fort Hartsuff in 1874. Journal Star file photo Commanders Quarters This 1981 photo shows the restoration project on the commanding officer's home at Fort Hartsuff. Journal Star file photo Officers' Quarters Two children play in front of the restored officers' quarters at Fort Hartsuff in 1966. The old fort was built in 1874 to protect settlers in the North Loup Valley. AP file photo Post Office Dr. Auble looks over the structure of the former post office building on the Fort Hartsuff grounds in 1953. Journal Star file photo Armorer Shop at Fort Atkinson The armorer's shop is one of the reconstructed buildings at Fort Atkinson in 1990. Journal Star file photo Offutt's Old Hospital Offutt's old hospital was constructed at the beginning of World War II. The hospital was overcrowded with 15,000 outpatients visiting per month, the largest number of any SAC hospital in 1965. Journal Star file photo New Offutt Hospital Offutt's new hospital in the Capehart housing area was valued at more than $4.5 million. Journal Star file photo Glenn L. Martin Bombing Plant The Glenn L. Martin bomber plant, part of Offutt Air Base in Omaha, produced bombers for use in World War II. AP file photo Air Force Alert Force Vehicles Alert force cars speed crews to planes at the Lincoln Air Force Base in 1962. Journal Star file photo Removing The Explosive A Hastings Naval Ammunition Depot civilian worker removes the explosives from rocket heads by steaming out the charge in 1964. Pocketless coveralls and static-free shoes are safety precautions during this process. Journal Star file photo General John J. Pershing Armory In 1953, the Lincoln Reserve Headquarters announced that the new armory would be named in honor of Gen. John J. Pershing. The building would house all Lincoln Reserve units and the Lincoln Army Reserve headquarters. Journal Star file photo Kearney Air Base This building was one of several former Kearney air base buildings that the city of Kearney turned over to the Soil Conservation Service in 1952. Several other buildings and land were turned over to the University of Nebraska Agriculture College. Journal Star file photo Cheyenne Outbreak Barracks The reconstructed Cheyenne Outbreak barracks at Fort Robinson are shown here about 2014 as built by the Nebraska State Historical Society and Nebraska Game and Parks. Courtesy photo Tags Sweeps Military History Local-history State-and-regional Evergreen Facebook Twitter SMS Email Print Save Load comments Most Popular Lincoln jury finds Houston man not guilty of drug charges for 645 pounds of pot found in I-80 search Beatrice man sentenced to prison in three cases At the Courthouse 2 arrested for drugs following theft from parts store Exmark expanding with new building View All Promotions promotion spotlight Are you ready for retirement? promotion spotlight Could you pass a U.S. civics test?